The mission of the Limestone Township Fire Protection District is to protect our residents from fire, in our homes, our schools, our places of worship, and our businesses. This mission is accomplished through a belief in education and training, which will allow our personnel to continually improve the method and manner of the quality of services we provide.
The Limestone Township Fire Protection District was established in January 1951 after a group of concerned citizens met to discuss fire protection deficits in the unincorporated areas west of the City of Kankakee. The initial group consisted of 40 volunteers that responded out of a garage at the township hall in a 1951 Ford fire engine. In the first year, the LTFPD responded to approximately 30 calls. Today, the LTFPD is a combination agency that responds to approximately 1,000 calls annually. A majority of the district consists of residential subdivisions. However, also included in the district are a large elementary school, several preschools, light industrial complexes, several small businesses, a massive stone quarry, and approximately 12 square miles of the Kankakee State Park and an 8 mile stretch of the Kankakee River.